Coalition of Information and Media Users in South East Europe – CIMU SEE
The Coalition of Information and Media Users in South East Europe (CIMU SEE) is an initiative aimed at increasing the levels of media and information literacy in the region with a view to encouraging the emergence of an informed, active and demanding audience of media and information users capable of influencing the conduct of media and information sectors and governments of the countries of the SEE region.
The CIMU SEE will specifically:
- seek to create a network of civil society groups focused on ensuring that the media and other public information providers fulfil their civic and social responsibilities,
- aim to articulate and advocate the interests of media and information users in legislative and other public debates on issues related to media, freedom of expression and access to information nationally, regionally and at the European level, ensuring meaningful and sustained involvement of the public in this process,
- facilitate development of free media and other information providers through strategic partnerships and interaction with media outlets, libraries and other information intermediaries, governments, self-regulators and electronic media regulators in SEE,
- advocate the inclusion of media and information literacy components in school curricula, government plans and projects of civil society groups,
- conduct its own media and information literacy projects to directly promote active and informed citizenship,
- seek to empower citizens and citizen media groups to conduct media monitoring, and increase demand for quality media,
- encourage interaction between of citizens and citizen media groups with self-regulatory bodies.
CIMU SEE is a UNESCO initiative coordinated by SEENPM, a network of 18 media centres and institutes across 12 countries of Central and South Eastern Europe.